Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Monika

I was born in a small village in Germany. In 1997 I decided to study pottery in the traditional way as an apprentice. During my three year study I spent almost half a year in Nagpur, India. There I learned how to make pots and small sculptures on a wheel turned by hand. In 2001 I completed my apprenticeship at the pottery studio in Fischerhude, Germany.

Shortly after I moved to Finland, the country of her husband, and continued making tableware. All my work was wheel-thrown stoneware, glazed and fired in an electric kiln. However, making tableware was not fully satisfying, and so I started to explore more wheel-thrown sculptures inspired from her stay in India. Together with a friend I exhibited in June 2003 in Helsinki, Finland.

Due to another international move and the birth of my son, I took a break from ceramics for almost 6 years. In 2008 I moved with my family to New Mexico. Once my son started school, I found some time again to go back into working with clay. My interest has now shifted from traditonal pottery to finding a way of exploring and expressing myself.

2 comments:

  1. Monika,
    Thank you for giving us the opportunity to see your work all together at one place.
    Your connection to creativity source is so strong that it makes your work very artistic, amazingly unique, extremely self-expressive and... simply beautiful.
    I enjoy all this beauty very much.
    Please, add new pieces soon!

    P. S. I noticed that even elephants from the Gifts section of this site are shaped in the low-case letter "m" (does it state for first letter of your name?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your support. I hadn't noticed the elefants being shaped like a "m" :-)

    ReplyDelete